Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Brown Sugar Peach Tart

Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Did you know it's peach season??

Well it is.  At least that's what my handy desk backdrop tells me and it would never lie to me.

I think.

(BTW: You should totally check out the desk top calendar by Going Home to Roost...it's spiffy to the max.  She does one every month for your computer and your iPhone.  New Love.)

Anyway...my weakness for peaches is deep rooted...in my deep southern heritage.  My grandpa used to go help harvest the peach crops in Georgia during the season.  We always had TONS of peaches around.  I have fond childhood memories of making peach ice cream on the patio...You know, with the old ice cream makers where you needed rock salt.  We would have peach tea, peach cobbler, peach jam.....

Anyway...I love peaches...and I've always had a soft spot for anything baked with peaches...like peach pie.  Or how about fancify it??  A peach tart!



And not just any peach tart....this is one sinfully-delicious-mouthwatering-sweet-and-savory-peach-explosion!

Yes I said it....explosion.  This is going to EXPLODE PEACHES.  

I don't shy away from the dangers of the kitchen...so I went for it..and my alchemy proved to be SO successful I have to share it with you...

Brown Sugar Peach Tart


Best Ever Pie Crust
2 1/2 Large peaches sliced into thin wedges
3/4 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c flour
1 TBSP cinnamon
10 inch tart pan with removable bottom
2 TBSP salted butter
Cinnamon and granulated sugar for dusting

Take the bottom out of your tart pan.  See the large disk you have in your hand?  That is now your template.  Use it to draw a circle the same size as the bottom on a piece of wax paper.  Hint: just trace around it.
Place the tart pan bottom back in the pan and place the wax paper circle in the pan so it covers the bottom.  Now spray all of it with some baking Pam.
Roll out your dough and settle it into your tart pan.  When you get it all perfect, use a rolling pin or your fingers and let the edge of the tart pan cut the extra off for you.  Done.  Put it in the Fridge to chill.  Preheat your oven to 350.

While your crust is chilling, Mix your brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Slice up your peaches.

Take your crust out of the fridge.  Spread your sugar mix over the bottom of the pie crust.  I know this looks like a lot but don't worry.  It's delicious.

Now take you peaches and place them in a pretty pattern like so:


I leave the skin on my peaches.  It looks prettier...and rustic...and when it bakes you can't even tell they're there.

Anyway, Once you have them all arranged and pretty like you like them (or ya know...you can just dump them on ...just make sure they're even) take your 2 TBSP of butter (I use salted) and cut them into little pieces.  Then evenly scatter the pieces on the top of them peaches.  I usually cut my butter into 8 pieces and place them evenly over the top.  Then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  I use a little shaker I picked up at a baking supply store, but you can mix some in a bowl and sprinkle by hand if you wish.

Then I put the tart on my pizza pan (you know the one with the holes) but you can put it on a cookie sheet and put the tart in the oven.  I put it on some kind of pan simply because it's easier to put in and out of the oven without accidentally popping the center out of the bottom of the tart  pan and ruining your tart.

Bake for 35 minutes.


Once it's done baking, let it cool in the tart pan.  Then remove it by popping the bottom up.  The sides come away and your left with a beautiful tart.  Slice in and enjoy.

I served a variation of this at my dessert party last week and it disappeared.  Seriously.  It was the star of the dinner.  This one in the picture, I made for my father in law...because he kinda had a fit about it.

It's ok....fits are natural.  Especially after you eat some of this....yes....fits will ensue.


4 comments:

Susie said...

This is gorgeous. My favorite thing about peach season is the smell...it just cannot be replicated. My kids are not peach fans, so I knew as soon as they left I would bake something peachy. Yours is a stunner!

Unknown said...

It looks absolutely amazing. I just bought lots of peaches.

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures! And you make the tart seem so easy!
R

Paula said...

These photos could not get any more beautiful nor tempting!

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios